How to Change Course for International Students in Australia in 2024


How to Change Course for International Students in Australia in 2024

In 2023, international students in Australia faced new challenges and regulations when it comes to changing their course of study. The Australian Student Visa regulations, updated in July 2022, have introduced stricter controls, especially for postgraduate students. This article aims to provide a comprehensive guide for international students considering a course change in Australia, with insights from Ultimate Migration.

Understanding the New Regulations

The updated regulations require international students to seek approval from the Minister in certain situations, particularly for postgraduate qualifications. This is to prevent the risk of unwanted transfer of critical technology. Key points include:

  • Minister Consent-Required for changing or starting postgraduate linked to research-based master’s degrees and PhDs. The Minister will grant approval for a request to change course only once it is confirmed by the relevant Australian authorities that you are not perceived as a direct or indirect risk to the nation’s security.
  • Graduate Certificates and Graduate Diplomas– Ministerial consent is necessary for changes in these programs if linked to research
  • Master’s Degree and Doctorate– Ministerial consent is necessary for changes in these programs if course is linked to research.
  • Bridging Courses– If needed as a prerequisite for a master’s or doctorate, ministerial approval is mandatory.

Course Change Requirements for Bachelor and VET Students

  1. Within the Same Institution
    • After completing six months of the primary course, students can generally switch to another course within the same institution.
    • The process involves meeting academic standards and checking seat availability.
  2. To Another Institution
    • If less than six months of the primary course is completed, a release letter from the current institution is required.
    • A compelling reason for the change and availability of seats in the new course are crucial.
  3. For Bachelor Students and VET Students
    • Changes at the bachelor level and VET are typically less restricted and do not usually require Ministerial consent.

Visa Implications

  • Students changing to a course at the same or a higher level of qualification may not need a new visa.
  • Changing to a lower-level course might necessitate a new student visa application.

Process and Documentation to Change

  • The process involves obtaining permissions, meeting institutional requirements, and submitting necessary documents.
  • For postgraduate students linked to research-based master’s degrees and PhDs, this includes completing Form 1221 and send it to to obtaining ministerial consent.

Support and Guidance from Ultimate Migration

Ultimate Migration offers support and guidance to international students navigating these changes. They provide consultations to discuss options and help with the process.


Changing courses as an international student in Australia in 2023 requires careful consideration of the new regulations and institutional requirements. With the assistance of Ultimate Migration, students can stay informed, seek guidance, and plan meticulously to ensure a successful transition to their new course of study.

FAQs on Changing Courses for International Students

Q: Am I eligible to change my course as an international student in Australia?

A: Yes, international students in Australia on a Student visa (subclass 500) can change courses. However, to be eligible, you generally need to have completed at least six months of the principal course for which your visa was granted. You should consult with your educational institution and potentially seek advice from a migration agent to ensure you meet all eligibility requirements.

Q: How soon after arriving in Australia can I change my course?

A: As per the regulations, you should complete at least six months of your principal course before requesting a course change. If you wish to change sooner, you’ll need to obtain a release letter from your current institution, which might require a valid enrolment offer from another institution.

Q: What steps should I follow to change my course?

A: To change your course, you should start by discussing your decision with an academic advisor at your current institution. If you’ve studied for less than six months, apply for a release letter. Once you have a new offer of enrolment, you may need to inform the Department of Home Affairs and update your student visa conditions, especially if changing to a different education sector or level.

Q: Will changing courses affect my student visa?

A: Changing courses can affect your student visa, particularly if you move to a lower level of qualification or if the duration of your study changes. If you transfer to a course at a different educational level or if your new course is not aligned with the sector specified on your visa, you’ll likely need to apply for a new visa.

Q: Do I need to notify anyone if I change courses?

A: Yes, you should notify your education provider, who will then inform the Department of Home Affairs of the change. This update is critical to maintain your visa compliance. It’s also advisable to check with the Department of Home Affairs to see if you need to make any updates in your ImmiAccount.

Q: Can I change to a course at a lower Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) level?

A: Yes, you can change to a lower AQF level course, but this will usually require you to apply for a new student visa as your visa conditions are based on your initial course level.

Q: What if I want to change to a course at another institution?

A: You can transfer to another institution, but you’ll need to go through the correct process, which typically involves receiving a letter of release from your current institution if you’ve studied your original course for less than six months. You’ll also need a valid offer from the new institution and may need to update your visa details accordingly.

Q: Can I enrol in two different courses at the same time?

A: No, you are not permitted to enrol in two courses concurrently during the first six months of your education in Australia. After completing six months of your principal course, you may be able to undertake additional study, but you should seek approval from your primary education provider.

Q: What financial implications should I consider when changing courses?

A: Changing courses may lead to additional costs such as new tuition fees, application fees, or a new visa application charge. You should also consider whether the timing of your change will allow for a refund of any prepaid tuition fees and how it might affect your financial aid or scholarships.

Q: How does changing courses affect my post-study work rights in Australia?

A: Changing courses can affect your eligibility for post-study work rights, especially if the new course has a shorter duration or is at a lower AQF level. It’s important to consult the latest guidelines from the Department of Home Affairs and possibly seek the advice of an immigration expert or your institution’s international student support services.

Q: What should I do if my institution rejects my transfer request?

A: If your transfer request is rejected, you can appeal the decision through your institution’s internal appeal process. If you remain dissatisfied, you may take your appeal to an external body such as the state or territory Ombudsman or the Overseas Student Ombudsman.

Q: How do I maintain visa compliance while changing courses?

A: To maintain visa compliance, you must ensure that you continue to meet the conditions of your current visa. This means remaining enrolled, maintaining satisfactory course progress, and, if changing courses or institutions, updating your enrolment details with the Department of Home Affairs and consult a registered migration agent.

Q: What happens if I switch to a course that extends the duration of my study?

A: If you switch to a course that extends your study duration beyond the expiry date of your current visa, you will need to apply for a new student visa to cover the additional time.

Q: Is there support available for international students changing courses?

A: Yes, most educational institutions have support services for international students, including academic advising, counselling services, and assistance with visa-related inquiries. Additionally, registered migration agents can provide advice on visa implications related to changing courses.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Share this post with your friends

Recent Blogs

Fill out the form below to recievea free and confidential intial consultation.

Request a Free Consultation