Migration Agent Perth

Partner Visa Onshore

Top Migration  Consultant in Perth for 820 & 801 Visa


The Partner Visa Subclass 820 is a temporary visa that allows partners to live in Australia. After 24 months, applicants may be eligible for the Partner Visa Subclass 801, which is a permanent residency visa. This progression from temporary to permanent residency is a key feature of these visa subclasses.

Eligibility Criteria for Visa Subclass 820 and Subclass 801

To be eligible for the 820/801 visa, applicants must-

 Be married or in a de facto relationship with an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen.

Have a marriage valid under Australian law, with parental permission required for ages 16 or 17.

Have been in a de facto relationship for at least 12 months, unless the relationship is registered in an Australian state or territory.

Be inside Australia at the time of application and hold a valid visa (e.g., student, visitor, working holiday visa).

Meet health and character requirements.

For de facto partners, a 12-month cohabitation is typically required, though this can be waived if the relationship is registered in Australia. Registration provides legal recognition and is beneficial for immigration purposes.

If you have been in a long-term relationship (3 years, or 2 years with a child) at the time of application, you may be granted the permanent Partner visa (subclass 801) immediately after the temporary Partner visa (subclass 820).

Previous visa cancellations or refusals may affect eligibility.

Benefits of Visa Subclass 820 and Subclass 801

Temporary Partner Visa (Subclass 820) Benefits-

 Allows living and working in Australia while awaiting the processing of the Permanent Partner Visa (Subclass 801).

Opportunity to study in Australia, albeit with international student fees.

Eligibility to enrol in Medicare for health-related care and expenses.

Inclusion of dependent children in the application, provided they are in Australia at the time of application.

Freedom to travel to and from Australia multiple times after the visa is granted.

Permanent Partner Visa (Subclass 801) Benefit-

 Offers the full benefits of Australian permanent residency, including indefinite stay in Australia.

Ability to study with domestic student fees.

Unrestricted rights to work and establish businesses in Australia.

Access to social security benefits through Centrelink after a waiting period (up to 1 year), including family tax benefits, job seeker, job keeper payments, and childcare subsidies.

Enrolment in Medicare for community health care.

Eligibility for the first homeowner grant for purchasing a first home.

Free public-school education for dependents under 18 years of age.

Rights to sponsor family members for Australian residency, if eligible.

Option to apply for Australian citizenship, subject to eligibility.

Travel rights to and from Australia for 5 years, with the possibility of renewing travel authority through a Resident Return visa, subject to meeting residency requirements.

As of 25 November 2023, these visas can be granted regardless of the applicant’s location at the time of grant.

Visa Subclass 820 and Subclass 801 Processing Time

Subclass 820 Visa-

The processing time for this visa is typically between 23 to 27 months, which is about two years.

Subclass 820 Visa-

This visa usually takes 11 to 22 months to process.

Subclass 820 and Subclass 801 Visa cost

The cost for the Subclass 820 visa varies depending on the applicant and any dependents included in the application:

 Main Applicant Fee: The government charges $8,085 for the main applicant.

Dependent Child Over 18: If you have a dependent child over the age of 18, there is an additional fee of $4,405 for each child.

Dependent Child Under 18: For each child under the age of 18, the additional fee is $2,025.


Should you wish to discuss your circumstances and options with us. please fee free to contact our migration agent Perth.



Frequently Asked Questions

In case you don’t find an answer to your question, feel free to consult with one of our agents.

Yes, you can apply onshore partner visa 820.

You can stay in Australia on a Bridging Visa A (BVA) if your current visa is expiring before the grant of 820 visa.

What our client says

Related Articles

Fill out the form below to recievea free and confidential intial consultation.

Request a Free Consultation