Partner Visa for De Facto Relationship

Partner Visa for De Facto Relationship

Partner Visa for De Facto Relationship

If you’re in a relationship with an Australian resident or citizen and wish to live in Australia, the Partner Visa is your ticket.

And guess what? You don’t need to be married to apply!

What is a De Facto Relationship?

Simply put, a de facto relationship is when two people, regardless of gender, live together without being legally married or related.

Think of it as an “unofficial marriage.”

Key Requirements for the Partner Visa:

  1. 12 Months of Living Together: You should have lived with your partner for at least a year.

  2. Genuine Relationship Proof: You need to show that your relationship is real and not just on paper.

However, many genuine couples get their applications rejected because they’re not clear about how to prove their relationship status.

Can You Skip the 12-Month Living Together Rule?

Yes, in some cases:

  • Official Registration: If you register your relationship with the Australian Relationship Register, you can bypass the 12-month rule. States like NSW, Victoria, Queensland, Tasmania, and the ACT offer this registration. But remember:
    • Both partners should be 18 or older.
    • You shouldn’t be in another registered relationship or related by family.
  • Legal Barriers: If your home country doesn’t allow you to live with your partner, especially in the case of same-sex relationships, Australia might waive the one-year rule for you.

How to Prove Your De Facto Relationship:

The Department of Home Affairs looks at four main areas:

  1. Financial Ties: Show joint expenses, shared assets, and combined financial resources. For instance, a joint bank account or shared property.

  2. Social Connections: Provide evidence of joint activities, mutual friends, or even joint invitations to events.

  3. Commitment Evidence: Highlight the duration of your relationship, your knowledge about each other, and any plans for the future.

  4. Shared Household: Prove that you live together. This could be through joint lease documents or mail addressed to both of you at the same address.

Feeling Overwhelmed?

Applying for a visa can be complex. But don’t fret! Ultimate Migration specializes in helping couples like you.

They’ll guide you through the process, ensuring you have all the evidence you need.

If you’re unsure or need assistance, consider reaching out to their expert migration agents.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Share this post with your friends

Recent Blogs

Fill out the form below to recievea free and confidential intial consultation.

Request a Free Consultation